Tuesday, July 7, 2009

And he asked: Why are you single?

I frequent a local restaurant that my friend owns and tonight I went by to visit her and her grumpy, obnoxious friend who I have come to know. In all reality, he is a real hoot and the things that come out of his mouth sometimes tend to be sarcastic or can be taken as rude. But he is a character, that fella and I laugh when I am around him.

Now back to my story, as I spoke to "Andy" (the obnoxious one), he asked me "Why don't you have a boyfriend? Why are you single?" I laughed, and smiled at him and responded "I am too busy for that." He looked at me and responded, "So what! You can stiill have a sex life." I just stared at him, I think my mouth dropped at that moment. I laughed and responded; "A sex life? What's that? No thanks." He continued to ask me about it and why I didn't want a hook up buddy. I couldn't stop laughing. And then he asked me "How are you so busy?" I then told him about all the projects I was working on - The first book; the sequel; making, selling and promoting my jewelry; working on my cancer non-profit; and my cancer for profit. He looked dumbfounded really, and continued to tell me that I needed a sex life. Lol. As I stood there and told my friend about Andy's craziness, she giggled when he pointed to a drunk mam at the end of the bar and told me that he liked me, he wanted to go out with me. It was funny really, there Andy was teasing me away, getting a kick out of my responses. I just continued to laugh at what he was saying. And i think the last thing I said to him was this - "I don't need a man to be happy. I don't mind being single, and I have more important things to do right now."

The truth is that when I was younger, before cancer I didn't care who I dated, I just dated people. I was always in a rush to be with someone, as if I had to have a man to survive. But after cancer, I feel differently about things. When I am looking eventually, I want a man who is driven, passionate and intelligent. There are more qualities that I look for, definitely. So, now I ask you, why are you single? If you are of course single, you still can be fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment