Wednesday, December 23, 2009

This Wonderful Journey Called Life After Cancer

As weird as it sounds to say & hear myself think this, I do enjoy this wonderful journey called life after cancer. I have been through so many experiences in my life, but nothing, and I mean nothing compares to this life, these adventures, these moments that make life truly worth living. Life after cancer, the life of surviving the "statistics", of beating the odds and really living is amazing.

Now I do admit, that there are some sad times that come and go. Like the amazing people I have met in my life after cancer journey, who have lost their lives to this disease. Those people, are part of who I am today. My dad for example - Melanoma got him, when I was very young, and though I don't remember everything about him, I do have the pictures & the stories from my mom about him and his wonderful life. I know that even though I lost him at such a young age, that it gave the realization that I can be strong, I can fight this disease and I can make a difference, no matter how small or big. My friend J who was not only a husband, a father, a friend, a survivor, & an adventuresome man who loves to fly and enjoy his life to the fullest, lost his battle over a year ago, but I still have the wonderful memories of him - how he made me laugh for hours while I got my chemotherapy, how much he talked about his family & people he had met since being diagnosed, how he was inspiring, and loved living his life.

Even the people that I never knew, but that touched my heart in other ways, the celebrities that I know have touched all of our hearts - like Farrah Fawcett, our "Charlie's Angel", Bea Arthur, our "Golden Girl" comedian & actress, & even Patrick Swayze, our "Dirty Dancing" favorite. All of these people left a lasting impression on our hearts & in our minds - even though they are no longer here, they will always be with us in our memories!

Whether you are newly diagnosed, currently relapsed, or finished with treatments & trying to move on, you need to remember that you are not alone, there are others like you, others who have been through what you have, and there's always someone to talk to about things, to talk about life after cancer and to share the experience with. :) Remember that this is your journey, it's up to you how you not only approach dealing with it, but how you find a way to work through it and continue to live & love your life after it. We all deal with this differently, and for me, I find the best way to deal with life after cancer is to live my life, spread my positive energy & thoughts to others with the disease & their families & friends, by inspiring others and spreading awareness.

The journey can go either way, it can be a wonderful one, or it can be a dull one - It's really up to you! Which Cancer Journey Will You Choose??

No comments:

Post a Comment