Monday, April 11, 2011

The Power of Giving Is Amazing

The past 2 days have been good ones, I can't complain and only have great things to say. Yesterday UCAAN was invited to participate in an Involvement Expo put on by the San Fernendo Valley Jaycees, which connected non-profits with volunteers, donors & community leaders. (The San Fernando Valley Jaycees is an energetic, innovative and effective organization comprising current and emerging leaders between the ages of 21 and 40 who are dedicated to impacting the future through networking, leadership development and community service.) The event was a GREAT opportunity for UCAAN to get recognized out in the San Fernando Valley. My mom and I worked our table and had a great day.

The best part of the day was meeting people. We had a lot of visitors to the UCAAN booth, all people interested in finding out more about the cause. :0)

I ended up giving away 12 "Share the Hope" Bracelets and 3 "Hang in There Hope" creatures (2 monkeys & 1 lizard). The stories I hear from people who were affected by cancer in some way, were heartfelt & hopeful. The least I could do was spread the HOPE to these awesome people. I hope that I made an impact in the lives of these amazing people which included a sweet little old woman who came and asked if she could volunteer because she's a breast cancer survivor. Way to go Mary! Welcome to the Volunteer Team!



My day today was exceptional. This story gave my friend chills when I told it to her. Ok.... Enough with the anticipation right? So, my best buddy and assistant and I stopped at my bank in Oxnard today, when we stopped a young man approached me and asked if I wanted my windows cleaned for a donation. I apologized because I didn't have any cash on me, but as I reached into my pocket for my wallet, I found a dollar. I approached the young man (in his late 30's) and I handed him the dollar and said "All I have to help you is this dollar. You don't have to wash my windows, I just want you to have this just because." He smiled and thanked me "God bless you" he said and insisted that he wanted to clean my windows anyway. I went to grab something out of my bag prior to walking up to the ATM and found a dollar coin- the ones they don't make anymore and I held it in my hand. After I handled my business at the ATM, I approached the young man again and handed him the dollar coin - "I found this and wanted you to have it." I told him. He and I ended up talking. I told him how I wished that I could have helped him more, and for some reason I told him that I had had cancer and because of it I was unable to do more. That statement turned it into a full conversation. He said "I'm so sorry that you have cancer, you're soo young." I told him I hadn't had it in years, and he smiled and said "Thank God." I agreed. He then said "I have a good friend who is going through chemo right now, it's very hard for her." I knew what I had to do. I got out a stack of UCAAN cards and a little organza bag with a "Share the Hope" bracelet and card in it. I went to him and said "I may not have money to give, but I do have this. I run a very small non-profit organization that helps people with cancer. So here are my cards, and here's a gift for your friend who is battling cancer." I continued to explain to him the purpose of the "Share the Hope" bracelet and how it was meant to be passed on. I could see the joy and tears in his eyes. I don't think that he ever thought that I would do something like this, something so selfless. He thanked me profusely and told me how much his friend would love the gift and my information. I told him it was what I did, "This is how I try to help people with cancer. Tell her to call me anytime." Before getting in my car, he smiled at me again, took a look at my card and told me "Hi Rachel, I'm Daniel. Thank you. God bless you! She is going to love this." I smiled back and told him to keep his head up, and to have a great day.

WOW! What an impact! :0) This is why I do what I do with UCAAN. I hope that I do hear from his friend and hope that I can help her in some way. Remember folks, we only have this one life - Why not make the best of it while we're here?

No comments:

Post a Comment