Sunday, October 30, 2011

This Life - You Must Make it Work

It didn't take me long to realize what was most important to me in life after my whole cancer battle. For most people, it's hard to see past the tornado of things that we focus on and we miss all the important things along the way. I heard a song the other day, and one of the lyrics said "Those things don't last forever." The things they were referring to, were the material things - the cars, fancy flat screen TVs, the million dollar house, the items that would eventually depreciate and would need to be purchased again. The same thing goes for your private jet, your million dollar a year salary and your 200 foot yacht.... these are merely possessions and sometimes big goals for people... but after we go, what are they really worth? Nothing!

So, what makes me write this blog titled "This Life - You Must Make it Work"? Because in my journey through life, I have met many people, heard lots of stories and learned a lot. The truth is, that I have a memory problem and can't remember most of those conversations, but I usually try to write the stories down, or record them with a camcorder, so I can hear them over and over again... I wish I could remember them... But I can't. Why? Due to my radiation that I had to help me beat cancer for the second time, I have scaring on my brain, scaring that is permanent and has caused permanent damage to my brain. This is one of the problems that I have incurred since my last cancer treatments in late 2008. None the less, I somehow find a way to look past these bad side effects that I have incurred, the ones that will be with me forever. I must find a way to make things work.

So how do you apply this point of view to your own life? You need to look past everything else, and I know this may sound funny but you need to decide if what you are doing in life is what makes you happy. It sounds crazy I know! To throw caution to the wind and just do what makes you happiest in life, but this is one of the ways to improve your own personal quality of life. It's like putting on a pair of rose colored sun glasses, everything changes, things look clearer and more colorful! You need to think and decide what you love most in life and how you can turn it into a career, something that you can in turn make enough money to survive from. This isn't a quick decision and you may need to give up some of the extras that you are accustomed to, like the $150 a month special cable package, the $50 a month make up set, your $850 a month Mercedes with all the bells and whistles. When you look at all that stuff... do you really need all that? I guess most people think that since they have the money, why not spend it, well why not spend it doing something amazing, long lasting that will help others and best of all make you feel amazing!

We only have this one life and to waste it on fights, material things, excessive spending, etc is just like wasting your life away. Now this is only an opinion and you don't have to take it to heart if you don't want to. I think a lot about other charities, because people are constantly comparing UCAAN to the other charities, but we are very different. There are other charities that take in huge amounts of money, that have CEOS, including retired ones taking six to seven figure salaries, when the average amount that a CEO should be making for a non profit is between $92,000 and $147,000/year. Who decided that $915,000 was acceptable or event $1,550,000? These amounts are exuberant and they are taking so much away from the survivors that need the money more because they have gone through their savings, or just cannot afford the treatments that they need. It's sad and disgraceful and this is why we need to stand up for those that need the help! This folks, is part of why I left what I was doing and chose the path less traveled. I got into something that I was somewhat scared to get into, and nervous about - starting a non profit organization. I looked at my life after cancer and knew what my purpose was, I was saved to help others, to use the skills and passions that I have to help other people. I cannot do all this alone, because of my damage from treatments, there are things that I cannot accomplish without help. But I don't allow it to withhold me from accomplishing what I need to. The brain scaring, it's bad and has destroyed my confidence in myself, it has taken away my ability to remember and learn new information, but it has also shown me that with the help of others, I can accomplish even the hardest of tasks.

So, for this life folks.... look at what you are currently doing and decide if it's enough to make you happy. I have found that for the most part, I am happier, and although I have some life altering side effects I try not to allow it to hold me back. You shouldn't either. What would you do with your life if you could choose something better and more fulfilling than what you are doing now? What would make you happiest? And what would you need to do to accomplish this? Would you be able to make this work for you?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment