Monday, July 5, 2010

Dating and Love Life?

Since my diagnosis I have realized a lot my dating habits and my dating life in general. I find that dating is harder for me now, because I expect so much more out of a person/a partner in crime. I soon realized that the characteristics that I was looking for in another person a few years ago, just didn't cut it when thinking about my current dating life. So, I took some time and wrote out a list of the 6-9 of the most important "Must Haves" in my future fella. What are they you ask? Well, they included the following: 1.) He must have a job or a career - something he does because he enjoys it, not because he feels that he is expected to, or just because he makes great money but dreads going to work every day. 2.) He Must have a Sense of Humor- he should be confident enough to be able to laugh at himself and of course at me and my dumb jobs. 3.) He Must be passionate/driven and compassionate in all aspects in his life. He even gets brownie points if he can see that "when life gives you lemonade, make lemonade!" He should be able to find a way to turn any negative or bad situation into a good one! 6.) He Must have a car, because I do and cannot afford to be a chauffeur. 7.) He should have a stable place to live & be independent. 8.) He cannot be an alcoholic or druggie. It's even better if he doesn't smoke - because I don't like kissing ashtrays, or alcohol bottles. :) I am not interested in pot smoking around me either. 9.) He Must Love what I am passionate about, and maybe even want to be part of my organization as well because he knows it's something that I LOVE and that I am passionate about it!!

I've tried every form of dating from online to speed dating to meeting them through friends, I have even been single and not looking for about 2 years..... hmmmm. I know what's most important in my life at the moment and it's not dating - but a cuddle buddy would be great.

I know that dating after cancer has it's complications, lack of sexual desire, some may feel inadequate, some feel like they can't do the things they used to be able to do and some soon realize that their energy level is not what it used to be. These feelings are common even for those of us who are in relationships, are dating or are married. We all feel similar symptoms and side effects. But it's easiest to understand that it's all a process, and we have to take things as they come, learn to accept them and work with it however we can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment