Monday, January 17, 2011

11-27-10 Why Spreading Joy is Important 2 UCAAN & I

I don't remember every bit of my holiday experience back in 2006, when I was initially diagnosed with end stage leukemia..... but I do remember little pieces of it. I was at the City of Hope for a month, and most of the time I was in a drug induced coma or relearning how to do the simple things - walking, reading, writing, eating, etc. I know that I was put into the drug induced coma quickly after I was admitted into the City of Hope, and I know that when I woke up - people said I was crazy - coming off of the morphine. But it's the stuff after that I remember the most. I remember not being strong enough to get myself up out of bed without help, I remember passing out if I sat in a chair too long, and I remember the days when I first started learning to walk again. Those were tough times, but my perseverance was strong!

I also remember how I slept all day most days and how hard it was for me to read my holiday cards that came in from friends and loved ones. I always appreciated the cards that I received, but was always discouraged because I couldn't read them well enough to know what they said. Often I had to have a nurse read them to me. :) Which was nice. While I was in the hospital I remember meeting fellow survivors, who were far from home and only heard from their families in emails or calls every once in awhile. And some survivors didn't have family to call them or send them anything......

This is where the importance of spreading Joy is important not only to me by also for UCAAN. Part of what I do with UCAAN is give gifts to survivors of cancer - CDs to the radiation oncology department at The City of Hope, Star of Hope necklaces & Hope bracelets are given to social workers who get them to patients. I am all about spreading that extra dit of joy, inspiration and love to these fellow survivors!

This is where you come in! For those of you who live near me, UCAAN come down to our Gift Wrap 4 a Cause location and choose to decorate a holiday card or two that will be in turn sent to cancer survivors at The City of Hope & UCLA Medical Center this holiday season 2010. I know that if I was in the hospital now, I would appreciate it if I received a card from a stranger who understood cancer, and who was there for me. So come on by- The Janss Marketplace - right next to Radio Shack & Aaron Brothers - Store #173-D. :)

Please help me help others by spreading the joy and the hope!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment