Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cancer Survivors Day - Celebrate Life!

This past weekend, I celebrated Cancer Survivors Day with friends and family. The truth is, that we only have this one life to live, and you need to spend your time living, laughing and loving. We all know that you are a survivor of cancer from the moment you are diagnosed. If you happen to relapse, your survivor counter doesn't start over again, when you have a stem cell transplant or bone marrow transplant you are considered close enough to being cured. When you reach your 5 year remission date, you are told the cancer likely won't come back. These are point of our cancer moments, that we look forward to - even more so - to find a cure for cancer.

For this Cancer Survivors Day, I celebrated life to the fullest. I had an interview on Q 104.7 FM with Nancy Rodriguez (which was pre-recorded on Thursday and aired on Sunday) with a fellow young survivor friend of mine - Collin. I spent my Saturday at an event at the Wellness Community in Westlake Village and celebrated with other survivors, ate great BBQ, listened to music, got some presents and hung out with my friend Jason. It's even more exciting to meet survivors who have been cancer free for 25, 35, and 40 years! I spent the weekend sleeping over at my friend Ryan's house and enjoyed good times with my friends: Ryan, Adam & Richelle until monday morning, when I left early in the morning and attended a wonderful event at the City of Hope with my friend Ranee - it was their Cancer Survivors Day Celebration of Life.

Whatever you did this past weekend in celebration of Cancer Survivors Day, keep in mind always that it's all about keeping positive, staying strong and living your life to the fullest. For me, God gave me another chance to live, another chance to help me realize what I was truly meant to do with my life. I live every day not only as a survivor, but as an advocate for those who have battled and continue to battle this disease. On a sign at the City of Hope, there is a quote, I recite to people often - "There is always Hope." This is true in all of our lives. We are giving this one life to live, this one chance to do something amazing. And no matter what sentence you are given by a doctor, you must remember that there is always Hope and positivity really works. I have met people who were given 2 years to live, and have surpassed their doctor's life expectancy - even up to 25 years and more! The truth is, it's up to God.

So for Cancer Survivors Day, I thank those that have helped me through these hard times - My mom - Jean , my "pop-aratzzi" Evan, my best friend Julie, my best friend Brianne, Dr. Pablo Parker, Lynn Bonner, Kelly P (share my birthday would ya?), Sallie, Soraya, Pat, Raz, Samantha, Kari, Art (David Copa-feel), Fernando, David, Monique, Ann C, Maila, Wendy, Ron, Jeanne, Corie, Gloria, Najat, Angie W, Stella, Cassie, Kathryn, Charisse, Dr. Mike Chen, all my pals down in radiation, all my phlebotomists, Jeanine, Mary, Honey, Jobe, Gilbert, Randy, Valerie, Bonnie, Ginny, Bella, Celia, all the gals in ETC and Infusion, Danny D, Yvonne, Elvira, Annie, Sandra and the list does go on. So many people at the City of Hope have helped me, and if I wasn't suffering from such chemo brain I would list you all. but you all know that I love you, now and forever!

Hope you all had an amazing Cancer Survivors Day - continue to live each day to the fullest, do something amazing, inspire and live, laugh love like you've never done before. xoxox Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment