Sunday, June 7, 2009

National Cancer Survivors' Day is TODAY!

Today is the day to Celebrate. A day to celebrate life and being a survivor. An estimated 11 million people all across the world are cancer survivors and are given this great day to celebrate, their lives, the lives of those we have lost to cancer, the lives of those close to us, whose battles are harder than others, and those who are newly diagnosed.


You are a survivor from the moment you are diagnosed. The moment the doctor says those fearful words to you and brings a feeling of uncertainty and confusion. You are a survivor from the initial date of diagnosis, if you've gone through a relapse, like I did, you are still surviving, a stem cell transplant - still kicking butt. It's all about what you do after your diagnosis, if it changes your life in a significant way, which I am sure for lots of us it has.


For those of you that know my story, know that i was diagnosed with final stage Luekemia and given a very slim chance of survival, the doctors at VCMC didn't expect me to make it to the City of Hope - but yes I did - will bells on! Coming out of the ambulance with the EMTs laughing and having a blast. Remember that Attitude is Everything! No matter what the doctors say about your chance of survival, you need to embrace life and live it the best you can! I have met a lot of survivors in my time, and have seen some of them embrace the experience and utilize it to help other fighting cancer, while some of us choose to move on with our lives as if nothing happened. that;s fine, it's you choice. But this life, this experience, brings us the realization that the simple things in life are amazing, that the colors of the leaves in fall are amazing and vibrant, that hanging out with grandkids or nephews for a few hours a week really are worthwhile, that finding your true passion in life and persuing it really is more remarkable and rewarding than any $120,000/year job that doesn't even make us happy.


I recently did a radio interview with Nancy Rodriguez of Q 104.7FM radio in Ventura County, Ca in celebration of National Cancer Survivors' day and we talked a little about my story and what I do to spread the world about cancer awareness. I have done so much in such a short time to spread awareness and inspire those battling the disease, or those still trying to decide what to do with their lives. We only have one life to live, so we might as well enjoy it, spread the love, help those when we can, volunteer to the fullest and embrace - those who have been there for us, stayed by our sides, helped us through our trials and tribulations, told us they love us, and made a lasting impact on our lives.


For this Cancer Survivors Day, I want to thank my Mom for being there for me through even the hardest of times and always lending me a hand, an ear, a kiss and a hug when I needed it. To my "pop-aratzzi" Evan for all of his support, love, and great times watching movies, and rubbing my feet at the hospital. My vest friend Julie for sleeping at the hospital with me, even when I was unconcious, coming to my side when I had a bad experience with a nurse and being there indefinately to help me through it all. My aunt Jaymie and grammie Lucille who always brought a smile to my face with their cute cards and phone calls. My Aunt Rita & Uncle Avi in florida, who sent their prayers and wonderful cards to me, with great inspirational words. My AMAZING DOCTOR - Pablo Parker, WONDERFUL NURSE PRACTITIONER - Lynn Bonner for saving my life and never giving up HOPE. Thank you to all of my family and friends for supporting me through it all and being there when I needed help. The amazing staff at the City of Hope and forgive me if I don't mention you all - Irene, Angie, Kelly P, Bonnie, Ginny, Jeannene, Anne C, Valerie, Stella, Cassie, Marie, Janine, Gloria, Najat, Corie, Sallie, Annie W, Stacey, Maria, Susan, Holly, Sandra, Ron, Monique, Maila, Wendy,and other wonderful and amazing people!

No comments:

Post a Comment