Wednesday, June 29, 2016

UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip - Day 10 – Saturday June 25th, 2016



As I sit and think about the past few days of experiences, I find myself reminiscing about where I was this time, several years ago. The last time I went for a UCAAN Trip, was with my friend Sara in 2011. We had just been on a phenomenal trip. Exploring the country, the wonderful hospitals that provided so much support and information to their patients they served. I was only 3 years our since my transplant, three years since I was cancer free and going through all the health issues caused by my life saving treatments. I was and still am excited to be alive, every moment that I have, every experience…. I enjoy it all no matter what happens. 

First off I want to thank everyone who believes in UCAAN, our wonderful volunteers included, our mission and all that we do, without your support we wouldn’t be growing and doing what we are doing! I want to thank our donors for supporting us over the years and for supporting us throughout this trip. Even if we help 100 patients, that’s 100 more that will share what we do with others, that’s remarkable. 

From all of us at UCAAN, Thank you!


Part 1

On Saturday morning I woke up in a beautiful little town nestled in the trees of Connecticut, the streets were filled with life, even at 8:30am. A Farmer’s market was across the street and we were steps away from where I would be speaking about UCAAN, our Preventative Dental Information and sharing stories with patients and survivors in the community, one of which included Audrey Treymon, who Doryn and I had just spent dinner with the night before at the Fife and Drum with her hubby Dolph (who started it all in 1973).

Doryn and I woke up and got ready enjoying some delicious homemade bagels from the bakery across the street. I paired it with goat cheese and fruit as well. Our hosts Elissa and George suggested to get the best exposure in the small community that we should park the car in front of the restaurant, we agreed. We knew that the UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip photo would for sure attract some attention! As I walked into the restaurant, I saw 3 people sitting around a round table in a special room of the place. I walked up and greeted them, they were all either going through cancer or had completed treatments, each of them with a different diagnosis.

As I talked about cancer and it changing my life, we had other point join the room, all listening to the information I was giving. I shared about how our Preventative Dental Program UCAAN CARE (Caries & Restorative Education) came about, how the road trip in 2011 was only a tiny step in starting that and spoke about the different ways to add health into their lives. They were attentive and really liked the speech I gave. Even with a room of 8, I knew that my speech had made an impact, especially on those still going through treatments! The longest living survivor was in remission for 40 years, WOW!

When I was done talking I asked to see who wanted to share a piece of their story and what their biggest financial assistance needs were. 3 of them volunteered for our nationwide video, which was amazing. Each attendee received samples of our sponsor Zatik Beauty’s organic and all natural soaps, one of our handmade mini bags, an informational brochure (printed by our friend Nancy Haberman of OakCreek Printworks), a UCAAN glow silicon bracelet and much more goodies!

I was thankful to be able to speak to the group and to make some new friends and great connections!

Once I finished the talk, Doryn and I had to get on the road, but Elissa & George invited us to stay for lunch. We couldn’t say no, but choose to pack our stuff at the house first. The food at the Fife is always good, lots of flavor and several options. We spent some more time with Elissa & George (our wonderful hosts) and talked. It was wonderful seeing them and spending so much time after all these years had passed. Before we left, we all took a photo and I told them I’d be back before they knew it. Elissa who coordinated my speech in Kent, offered to help make the next one even bigger…. I Agreed. Audrey was there too and before we left she said “Come back sooner than 20 years next time!!” We were beyond blessed to stay in the red barn, near the Fife & Drum Inn and Restaurant, next to the old Yellow Victorian, all of these have been in this town since the 1800’s! Still just as beautiful!

Doryn and I were well on our way, to NYC, with a stop at Walmart in New Milford. After we stopped, we continued on our journey to New York city. We once again split the driving, I drove first and Doryn drove the remainder of the way to my aunts place. We hit some traffic, but luckily with some tips from George & Elissa, we avoided the high tolls into New York and made it in a pretty good amount of time.

We had arrived in New York, the big apple, surrounded by the trees, the sky scrapers, the loud bustling of the city streets and the life! So much life! So many people!! We got a special deal for the same place we parked last year and were close to where we needed to be – we had ARRIVED!

That night, we enjoyed some time with my fabulous aunt and went out to a fabulous Chinese restaurant called Pig Heaven. The place was perfectly themed with piggy banks across the room, pig plaques with messages on the walls, pigs in the bathroom, pink walls and just fun décor around us. This was a unique and fancier version of the other local spots and BOY! Was it ever delicious!! We each got our own meal, but shared. Doryn and I enjoyed the wonton soup, aunt Jaymie enjoyed the cold sesame noodles (a HUGE favorite of our families’ and my mom’s!!) Aunt Jaymie got the Chicken in Garlic sauce, I got the Chicken and Asparagus with mushrooms and Doryn got a chicken something delicious with crispy noodles. Everything was delicious! The company at our table was the best!! Our days in New York have only just begun, but for this blog, I’m ending it with…. Sleep dreams…. Tomorrow is part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment