Thursday, June 23, 2016

UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip - Day #8 - Thursday June 23rd, 2016



Driving from Warren, Michigan to stop in Niagara Falls and ending in Rochester, NY

Today was an unusual day, because we are really good about getting up and leaving when we have to, but with everything going on with Victoria, I think we had hoped that we would be able to meet her this morning. However that wasn’t what happened. We were in fact ready to leave at 10am, and then the news hit us. After calling 6 hospitals in the area including the one she was set to go to last night, we found out that she wasn’t at any of them and hadn’t been. So I called her and left another voicemail and messaged her on facebook. When she responded, she told us what had happened and we were honestly mortified. She unfortunately is in a domestic violent marriage, which we knew only some things about and had referred her to some resources for it, but she wasn’t prepared for what happened. He locked her up in her room, with her severe head pain all night. She didn’t get out or to the hospital till the moment she was writing us on Facebook messenger. Luckily her friend came by and helped her and got her to the hospital. If you would please pray for her during this time and give her the strength to leave him; that would be greatly appreciated. Because of this, we were unable to meet her. 


So, we started off a little late and on top of it, we heard about the horrible storms on the East coast and Mid Atlantic which included a hurricane in West Virginia, the tornadoes in Illinois and the 82 mph winds and hail storms in DC and Maryland. This concerned us because we heard the storms were moving and we didn’t want to get caught in them. So we prepared to leave and soon ran into another issue, the route to Niagara Falls we received took us through Canada, and neither of us had passports. So we visited a local AAA office for an updated route. With the help of OnStar, we ended up on a bad route for 2.5 hours. We found ourselves delayed beyond belief with a 5 hour drive ahead of us and it was 3pm and we still had an additional hour and a half extra to get to Rochester…. The decision had to be made.  

(We have video and will load it soon!)

As I drove aimlessly and stressed from everything that had happened, I pulled off the road and teared up. Being strong for everyone was what I did. luckily I had Doryn there to be strong for me. I looked at him and cried. “As survivors we try to do so much, more than we probably should because sometimes we feel like we’ve missed so much.” This brought me to record a video about how cancer fighters like myself tend to do too much, and need to sometimes take a step back. Doryn looked at me and told me “It’s Ok, let’s just go to the hotel and relax” The decision was made and the stress instantly was lifted off my shoulders. So unfortunately we didn’t make it to Niagara Falls this time, but we made it to our hotel at 8:45pm and had some dinner out prior to getting back to get this written for you! Honestly we wouldn’t have had the time to go to Niagara Falls after all the delays and get to the hotel at a good time. The great news is we got here safe!! 

The rest of the route lead us through Ohio and Pennsylvania as well as gorgeous greenery. Simply Breathtaking!

Doryn and I after we talked about Niagara Falls and made a decision (Video to come soon)


We made it to New York. it was 7pm and still this bright out!!

Tolls, Tolls and More Tolls!

Upstate New York is Beautiful!


On a side note I wanted to mention. I’ve always wanted a man in my life to be fully supporting of me and what I’m doing, it wasn’t until 15 months ago when I met him speed dating that my entire life changed. Doryn shows it to me time and time again, I have been thankful for my life for a long time, but every day I am grateful to have him in my life adding to the best moments, including these. Tonight as we ate dinner, and my food was messed up twice, he sat there patiently not wanting to eat till I got my food (such a gentleman!). He smiled at me with those adoring puppy dog eyes… and just makes me melt every time. He is my rock, the one who calms me down when I’m stressed, the one who makes me laugh about nothing, The one who makes everything and every moment wonderful. I just wanted everyone to know how thankful I am to have such a wonderful man in my life to help me through the stress, the difficult times and the long drives. Thank you Doryn for being wonderful YOU!  And thank you for helping me throughout this journey and helping Change the Lives of Cancer Patients Nationwide!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment