Friday, July 1, 2016

UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip - Day #16 - July 1st, 2016

Day #16 - Some Delays can Still Turn into Wonderful Days!

"Remember that delays can happen and while they can at times be discouraging there's probably a reason things turned out that way. So just enjoy it and see how wonderful the day can become! Don't forget to look for the Silver Lining!" - R. Shur



It’s a whole new month and we had more exciting things ahead of us then we realized. 

So, we had a whole new day ahead of us that we hoped would be filled with more adventures. I got up a little early and started to prepare a little frozen dessert for Nick and Theresa as a thank you for having us at their home. I quickly made and froze bites of Cinna-Strawberry goodness, something I had conjured up in my head the night before on the fly.

Doryn and I spent the morning with Theresa, talking about UCAAN and what her husband had been through all those years ago when he was diagnosed. We really had a great time together, probably because we already had such a strong connection.
When 11:30 came along, it was time to head out. Doryn and I had to head out to AAA to get the updated route, the best route which would allow us to bypass Washington DC and all the holiday weekend traffic. Before we left Theresa, who is quite talented I must add in creating exceptional barrettes and headbands offered donating some to us that we could sell and give away to patients. The offer was one I accepted in a moment, it was so sweet and I was beyond grateful for her gesture. She said “You helped us so much when we needed it. I just want to give back to you and UCAAN and help you raise some funds.”

Doryn and I loaded our car, hugged Theresa and were on our way, or so we thought. We headed to the AAA office, which was harder to find, since they had moved and the AAA # didn’t know. So we drove down one road, that didn’t allow U-Turns or left turns for us to get to the “so called AAA Office” and once we got the other address is took even longer to get there… Always happens when you need to get somewhere right? Lol. So we stopped at Chase  bank to pick up some rolls of quarters for the Tolls, we knew we had a lot ahead of us and wanted to be prepared.

SO we finally get to the right AAA office and head in to get our route. By this time and all the delays: its 1:30pm, yes that late!! We have a wonderful agent working with us and getting us the best route options to Virginia and then to Kentucky. She also looked up tolls for us and estimated ones we needed to know about. Somehow an hour escapes us and we head to a nearby market to pick up some food including lots of fruit and water and of course it’s packed with people getting ready for the Holiday Weekend!! That took about an hour and a half, so we get back to AAA ready to go and it’s now raining in NJ and it’s 4pm!! Eeeek! I get the directions and get right on the road… Onward!

I am so thankful the drive was nice and serene with gorgeous trees around us and some crazy hard rain in the beginning. But with stops it took us 7 hours to reach our destination. We finally arrived at our hotel at 12:30am, the Days Inn in Lexington. We got to our room, one we booked through Priceline Express, which gets you a surprise deal at a random hotel you don’t know about until you book. I chose the hotel with the breakfast and the internet, which was less money – SCORE! We were greeted at the front desk by an older gentleman who reminded me of a Santa Claus and a young girl sat behind the desk with him. I’m guessing she was his helper, his granddaughter, I’m sure.  Her name was Chelsea, she gave Doryn a weird look and was a little feisty, but definitely cute. Doryn just smiled and talked to her, it was very sweet… That’s one of the many things I love about him. She handed me the paperwork to sign and he handed me the keys. As I walked into the room, surprise!! Double beds…… Guess I’m sleeping solo. No worries, at least we get to sleep now and get ready for another exciting day tomorrow.

Tomorrow we’re heading to Irvington, KY where one of our awesome clients lives. We get to meet her for the first time and we are so thrilled! I know she is too because she told me. See you soon Gaynell!!
I’m exhausted and so ready for bed, Doryn is already passed out! Night everyone! I hope to get photos us soon enough and maybe a video or two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment