Tuesday, July 26, 2016

UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip - Day #37 - July 22nd, 2016



Day #37 – Friday July 22nd, 2016 – Our Journey to the Grand Canyon, Bearizona & Peach Springs (Grand Canyon Caverns Inn)

As much as we tried, even leaving early it still took us awhile to leave Las Vegas today! We left our hotel at 8:30am and had a 4.5 hour drive to the Grand Canyon, a 45 minute drive to Bearizona and about an hour and fifteen minute drive to our hotel and to dinner. We stopped for a little breakfast at a small place called Checkers, right near our hotel and then we were on the move.  I drove the first 4 hours, stopped at a gas station and bought a hotdog for me and one for the homeless guy outside. When we went back out he was gone, shucks!!!


Doryn switched and started driving to the Grand Canyon, the closer we got the more our anticipation grew. I didn’t remember the last time that I had been there – maybe as a child and Doryn too. As we approached the main entrance, we were marveled at how large the land was, the road through the park was long and I felt we’d never reach the canyon. We got a little lost (thanks OnStar) due to all of the signs but eventually found our way to the parking area. Now, just a note for those of you who haven’t been or it’s been forever; park in lot #1, it’s the closest and the shortest walk to one of the viewing areas of the South Rim. So we followed the signs, trekking past the shuttles and buses, past the restrooms and up a walkway. I wondered how far the viewing area was from where we were at…. Long walk, but good for us. I think it may have been the elevation that was hard for me.


As we approached one of the many viewing areas we were in awe of what was before us. It looked like a perfectly painted picture, it didn’t look real. I heard a lot of other people there say the same thing, they felt like they could reach out and just touch it, but I didn’t get too close to the edge. I just stood there snapping photos of the sight from different angles, each view was even more gorgeous than the last. I wished that I could be in the middle of the canyon taking a panoramic picture of it all…. There are no words to fully describe how I felt looking at another one of God’s amazing creations. I could say Breathtaking and Inspiring, Moving and Inspirational… but that’s not enough for all this….. Directly in front of me. Behind me was an auditorium of rocks, Doryn stood at the top of it to catch some of the best shots, I’m scared of heights so I didn’t venture up there – especially without railings. I felt that the view I had was more than perfect. And I was surrounded by lots of people viewing and taking photos and selfies, while I was just in awe….

Soon, I noticed a storm approaching and I alerted Doryn that we needed to leave, as we had quite a walk back to the car. The trail back was hard to find, so our walk was a little longer than expected, but this wasn’t a bad thing. As we walked away from the path and wandered on, we came across a buck or an elk. It was right in front of us and there was another couple taking shots of this beautiful creature. We continued to take photos as it crossed the road towards our parking lot. I walked around till I could access our lot, the three of them continued to take shots of this creature who wasn’t at all bothered by their curiosity. Doryn ran over to me to help me over the rocks to get to the lot and told me that someone had approached them and threatened them for taking photos and videos of the animal saying it was illegal. Imagine that, illegal to take photos of animals.. I guess so in a National park. I found those rules in the guide that they had given us. I’m glad we got the photos we did.
As we left the Grand Canyon behind us, we saw the storm ahead of us. The fierce black clouds and flashes of light. We soon heard the monstrous growl of the thunder that surrounded us and then…. The hail and hard down pour on our car! It continued for a few minutes and then we just saw lightning and hear the thunder pounding. We continued on like warriors with one goal in mind to reach Bearizona before closing time. We only had a short distance between us, but we hoped that the rain would stay at bay so we could enjoy this drive through wildlife park.

Well, we made it with time to spare. There’s a really cool archway as you approach the wildlife park, accented with models of a bear, a wolf and a mountain goat. You drive up to the entrance and are given the rules which include not stopping in bear areas, keeping window closed and doors locked at all times, plus the additional “do not feed the animals” mention. We were given the map which detailed what areas we’d drive through. This isn’t the exact order but this is what we encountered: Mountain Goats, Mule Deer, Elk, Siberian Wolves, Black bear cubs, Bison, Donkey (burro), other wild wolves, big black bears and big horn sheep. We were told if we drove through once and got through it before 6pm, we could drive through one last time. The first time, there was a car ahead of us with their son hanging out the passenger side window, luckily nothing happened to this foolish kid. As we drove through the first time, some of the animals were sleeping, including the wolves. The Bison were eating and we found one very playful bear cub enjoying a nice bath in the heat. We even spotted a big black bear hanging out on a rock and one asleep in a cave, some of the animals were active, while others were sleeping. So once we got through the park in about 30 minutes, we decided to go through it again – to get more photos and our money’s worth of course! 

So Doryn and I headed through again, this time the animals were livelier; like the white wolves approaching the cars and smelling them. We had to stop a few times so we wouldn’t hit them. Eventually they moved from our car to a red one behind us. We circled to get one last glimpse of these active wolves before moving onto the next exhibit, the bear cubs who were between the ages of 1-3yrs old. We had arrived and stopped to watch a staff member in a white truck ahead of us chasing the cubs with his car to get them away from something. It looked as if he was playing with them and they were in turn enjoying it. I think he may have riled them up with this and he got out of his car to grab something on the ground and left. Well, he had done it!! They were even more active this time.

As we approached, there were many that were closer to the road. One started walking in front of us and so we stopped (No stopping in bear enclosures, was on my mind), but we didn’t know how to divert from hitting it. Instead of if moving past us it approached the front of the car and started to smell it, Doryn immediately locked the doors again and this bear cub crawled to the driver side, I heard a noise as if it was either trying to open the door of pound on it. I have to admit I was a bit freaked out, but nothing prepared me for what followed. As I sat there, suggesting we go in reverse so we wouldn’t hurt them another one approached my side of the car, close to my window. My heart beat faster as it got on its hind legs and got up towards my window, putting its paw on the side view mirror. At this point I was in fact terrified and asked Doryn to reverse the car, he tried but the bear cubs stood their ground. Next we had another bear behind us…. As if they had done this before (which I didn’t doubt). The one of my passenger side was trying to shake our car. As I sat there and Doryn was reversing, a black SUV passed us, taking photos of us… yes instead of trying to help! Eventually we were able to escape. I was so scared….. We continued through the rest of the park until we reached the end and asked the staff member about what someone should do this that situation. She really didn’t know and laughed about it. As for me… I was scared out of my wits. We pulled out to the restrooms and I just sat there, breathing until we left. I’m sure that in the future, I would honk and push forward. I didn’t have time to take photos as I was scared…. Sorry Guys! :-/

(Now you know if you have Facebook why I posted that “Random” question… It wasn’t random now was it?!)

As we left the park, I was looking forward to getting to our hotel to rest. Our drive was about an hour and a half and it was getting late and restaurants in the small town ahead of us were closing soon, so we opted to head to the restaurant first. We drove down a few dark roads and passed our hotel the “Grand Canyon Caverns Inn” and continued on the dark road past a Youth Detention Center in the middle of nowhere and to our restaurant, actually the only one that was open at 8:30pm. We went inside and ordered. My food didn’t come out right unfortunately, but we were thankful to be eating (whatever I could). We left shortly after and headed back down the dark road to our hotel. The road seemed darker than before, which made arriving at this hotel beyond creepy! We pulled up to a junkyard of old cars and a dimly lit front entrance to the hotel. I got out and approached, it was 9:30pm, so the main lobby was closed but the overnight staff was in. I rang the bell and looked around me at the swarms of flying bugs hovering around me, in front of me, on the building and above me by the lights. This was honestly creepy. The girl answered and checked us in. We drove to the far back of the hotel and found building 3 and room #32. We walked into the room hoping it was nothing like the front desk. To first sight it looked nice, but then there were bugs. And we found them everywhere in the room including dead in the lights and on the walls. Doryn was indeed an exterminator of sorts with his swatting towel in hand. Because it was so late and there were no hotels for over a hundred miles, we stayed there and planned to check out as soon as we got up in the morning….

A long day tomorrow over 6 hours to Cardiff to see Kelly, Jim and the Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment