Thursday, July 14, 2016

UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip - Day #29 - July 14th, 2016



Day #29 – Thursday July 14th, 2016 – Another day in Granbury, TX

I woke up to the smell of fresh cooked breakfast, the scent of something sweet came into our room, I was drawn to it and couldn’t sleep till I checked it out. This was actually what Carol had warned us of before we went to bed, she said that the smells of the fresh cooked breakfast would bring us out of our room. Well, it worked…. For me! Doryn was still in dream heaven, which he needs his rest as he’s been so great getting up early when we need to. Y That man! So, I followed the wonderful smell and sat at the table with the other guests: a mom and her daughter visiting her from Africa. First they brought out a baked apple that was delicate and delicious, following was a custom plate for me and all my allergies: eggs, fruit and stuffed French toast (I ate the fruit, not much of the toast) and country potatoes. And last was a strawberry sorbet in a small cup – the perfect size to end the meal!! After I headed back to my room to relax as Doryn slept, but he didn’t stay asleep much longer until he smelled the food. He had some breakfast and Carol gave me the news: She was able to set up a meeting with a staff member of a local cancer organization that’s been in this community for 70 years that wanted to meet me and learn about our trip and UCAAN.


So I quickly got ready while Doryn enjoyed his breakfast. Once we were ready the four of us went to drive to meet with Anne, a social worker for Cancer Care Services Hood County. We arrived in the square, which was a former church turned business center and walked into her nice small office. As I sat there, Anne shared her story about fighting 4 types of cancer and then proceeded to ask to hear my story. I told her what I had been through and what brought me to start UCAAN and what I was doing through the UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip. She was compelled and inspired by my story and what I had created from my experience. We shared a lot of the same views and thoughts, both being survivors and advocates for those with cancer. We made a phenomenal and I think great connection for life as fighters for cancer patients. She works for Cancer Care Services Hood County, an organization meant to help those in their community with cancer including some financial support and counseling. Anne and I shared similar side effects like she had all of her teeth removed because they had turned black from her radiation to her head, she now shows off a new set of teeth. We both have the same concerns for cancer patients and the lack of financial support for them. One of my favorite programs they offer is help to pay for monthly insurance coverage. This organization has been around for 70 years by 2 doctors who saw the need and wanted to help those in their community. It was remarkable meeting and connecting with Anne and I look forward to working with her further through UCAAN. Before I left I gave Anne our UCAAN Change a Life information packets about healthier eating, living and preventative dental care, several packages of chemical free soap and some of our glow hope bracelets for her clients. Before we left, I gave Anne a big hug. Thank you Carol for making this meeting possible! 
'

After our meeting we all headed to “Linda’s Kitchen” for a little lunch. Linda’s is a restaurant in the same business center, actually 2 doors down from Care Cancer Services. Linda’s is a restaurant that serves good old southern style food. Unfortunately for me I’m allergic to black pepper so ordering tends to be a bit of an issue. But, I was able to find something to enjoy!! A vegetable platter with a small side of roasted turkey and it was just perfect! I even got some fresh fruit with it. We all enjoyed a delicious lunch and then headed out.  When we left, Dave, Carol’s Hubby took all of us on a short drive around the town, which included checking out some awesome homes in the area that are new homes that are meant to look like old ones – they were remarkable! Then we headed back to the B&B and relaxed. 











Tonight we are set to enjoy Fajitas for dinner. I am pairing mine with goat cheese, which I’m excited about. Doryn and I are planning on going hot tubbing tonight and we leave tomorrow after breakfast for our drive up to Dumas, Texas to stay for the night. 
  Boy was it ever HOT in Texas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment