Monday, July 4, 2016

UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip - Day #18 - July 3rd, 2016




Day #18 - Muldraugh, KY to Clarksville, TN  Meeting Kimberly and Barbara


Doryn and I slept in a little more today because we had a short drive ahead of us. Once we left we enjoyed even more green on the roads on the way to Tennessee. We were headed to meet our clients Kimberly & Barbara at their work, and we were probably as excited as they were. When we arrived, I put together my special packages for them and we walked inside. Luckily their boss had set time aside for them to spent time with us, which was awesome! As we walked in, it felt like a big family, everyone working there was wearing the pendant necklaces that I made Kimberly through our Personal Fundraising Program that she was a part of years ago. Barbara was the first to come out to meet me and she greeted me with a huge hug. She referred to her fellow employees as her family and spoke about how they had helped her so much while she battled cancer. Shortly after, Kimberly came out and rushed over to me, I walked to her to greet her, we had a GREAT hug! Just like the other clients I had helped and met for the first time, we all felt like longtime friends, which was a nice feeling! They walked us to the employee lounge, where we chatted for a bit and met other employees and fellow supporters of the duo. 

We spoke for a while and then headed outside to record video testimonials for UCAAN. There was a moment in the break room, where Kimberly told me that she was still waiting for test results to a biopsy done 2 years ago. We discussed how she had family pay for the test because she didn’t have the funds to do so. I told her that she needed to fight for what she needed and what she had paid for. I told her if she didn’t fight for it who would? It was a great moment and I hope she takes my suggestions I gave her to deal with the situation. In many instances cancer patients who don’t have an advocate and tend to get taken advantage of. I was not about to let this happen to Kimberly. J Before we left, we hugged them again, it was beyond wonderful to meet them!

As we got in our car we smiled because we knew that we still helped where we could, providing support, encouragement and empowering Kimberly to do what she had to for her health. We drove away to our hotel to check in and rest, it had been a long day. As we arrived in town at our hotel, I walked in to check in. The woman at the counter seemed confused when I mentioned that I was there for a reservation “We don’t have any” she responded. I told her my name and she said “Your reservation was cancelled. And the company you booked through should have told you.” When I told her I didn’t know she gave me a number to call. We were left without a hotel the day prior to the 4th of July. So I tried the # and it was for another company, not the one I booked through. So I called a few local hotels till I found one around the corner, we drove over and spoke to the woman at the desk. She suggested we book the hotel through Hotels.com for a large discount and we did. She asked for my id and then Dory n’s. I was confused as I was never asked for both ids. When I asked her why she said that they did a sex offender search on all people that came into their hotel. Doryn had lost his wallet (somewhere in a bag) and so I showed her his facebook. She searched him and claimed he had something online, he didn’t and she cancelled our reservation. As we walked out, I walked to the car and we were still without a room and nowhere to go. Doryn and I searched the car, removing bags and searching them, the wallet was nowhere to be found. Eventually we did find it under a lot of other items deep in my center console – whew!!!

I immediately got on the phone with Travelocity and explained the situation, we had just driven 6 hours and dealt with hotel issues for 2 hours, we were exhausted and needed some rest. The agent was helpful and amazing and without getting into detail I’ll tell you what happened. She called the other hotel and found out that the reservation was cancelled by corporate due to over booking, my guess is they forgot to cancel with Travelocity. So the agent cancelled our old reservation and refunded me for it and then she was able to obtain a credit for next hotel room. We ended up with an awesome hotel room with a sofa and TV, a king bed with another TV, table and a jetted Jacuzzi tub!! Doryn and I had scored a great deal and only paid $31 for the room!!! We thoroughly enjoyed this upgrade and this awesome room!! 

As Doryn rested, I went to Walmart to grab food for dinner. I got back and used our awesome electric skillet and cooked up asparagus, zucchini, franks and beans! A whole new delicious meal and a favorite we both had as children! We enjoyed our meal, relaxed and after a soak in the tub, we headed to bed for some much needed rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment