Sunday, July 17, 2016

UCAAN Change a Life Road Trip - Day #31 - July 16th, 2016



Day #31 - Saturday July 16th, 2016
Dumas, TX to Arvada, CO


We had a nice stay at the Red Roof Inn in Dumas, TX and enjoyed the continental breakfast which included eggs and sausage after we loaded the car to go. Before we headed far out of town we stopped at a gas station for a fill up, we had about 400 miles ahead of us, so we wanted to be ready with a full tank. I pulled into a no name gas station to get gas and as I walked inside the store to get my receipt, I spotted a puppy/small dog running around lost and then Doryn spotted another one. They seemed to be a pair, but they looked like they were frantically looking for one another. I told the employee at the station, so he’d know but unfortunately didn’t seem to care. Doryn and I with our big hearts, all we wanted to do was help them. But when we got close to them, they’d run. One ran towards the truck section of the gas station and the other went the opposite way. One passerby at the station mentioned that it looked like one of the dogs had just had puppies… but where are they we wondered. As we left the station, I said a prayer for those dogs, we couldn’t get them to try and help them, but I hope that someone at the station heard my concern and did something. Unfortunately we had to leave the dogs there, if we could have caught them we would have helped more! 

The roads we headed on were similar in beauty to the ones we had already seen on the trip. We enjoyed the long roads with the greenery and cows. Doryn and I had seen so many groups of cows on this trip that all we really wanted was to see them up close, but we didn’t see a good spot…. Until today that we could pull over in time for. Doryn spotted a group of cows close to the roadway and said “Let’s stop here”. So I pulled over and we got out of the car. Doryn, in his neon green top jumped out of the car like an excited kid and headed towards the fence where the cows were. The funny parts included when we stopped the car, and these cows were just walking together, they stopped when they saw us, all at attention as if they were ready to be talked to. J Doryn and I were amazed that they all stopped and turned towards our direction, awaiting our next move. So Doryn headed through the tall grass to the fence and all of a sudden they ran off, as if he had scared them. Lol. It was so funny to see them run back a little. So there Doryn stood talking to the cows, just as I was. He said to me “There’s a lot of them and one of me. Why would they run from me?” I told him that they were probably scared since they didn’t know him. He smiled. We are both lovers of animals, so this was a great treat for us. Next time I hope to get closer to see them and feed them some lettuce!




On our drive, we drove through Oklahoma, which I didn’t realize we would be part of our route and nearly 30 minutes later we were greeted by a big sign that said Welcome to Colorful Colorado!! We were surprised at how fast we got into Colorado from Oklahoma. The roads continued to be green with some patches of brown and lots of flat lands. At some point, we noticed our phone time had changed, it was now an hour earlier- YES!!! We were right on schedule to get to Arvada and we were thrilled. As we drove further and changes freeways and highways we saw more small cities and soon spotted the bigger cities and our least favorite thing….. TRAFFIC! We were only about 12 miles from Arvada but stuck in traffic, but we got through it and soon found ourselves exciting the freeway for my Aunt and Uncle’s house in Arvada! 

We had arrived, earlier than expected due to the time change and we were happy. We went inside the house and saw my family, my mom too, who had ventured out on her own and driven 2 days to get to her brother’s house (my uncle) for a mini vacation (she’s staying longer than us and arrived yesterday). Mom, Auntie Kerry and I all went to the grocery store to pick up some food for dinner. Since my aunt and uncle don’t eat meat, we had to prepare our food separately. Aunt Kerry and Uncle Kenny are scheduled to go to the symphony with my mom and some other friends. Doryn and I are set to relax and cook dinner. Doryn brought the bags in while I was gone and was relaxing in our room. When the fabulous girls returned, Doryn and I relaxed till everyone left and then prepared dinner. Couscous with Chicken, paired with carrots and golden beets and salad too!! 

So after dinner, Doryn and I just relaxed, he wrote in his journal as I worked on jewelry as we watched Law and Order SVU. When my mom, aunt and uncle returned, my mom made all of us some fruit salad and we all enjoyed it before heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment